Friday, October 07, 2011

Flick Faves on a Friday - Quilts

With 139 crochet flowers finished (but not yet joined - but that's another story), my hands have been itching for another just-for-me project.  Something without a deadline, something that I can easily pick up for a few minutes and come back to when I'm ready...

So I think I'm going to.... wait for it mum.... attempt my first quilt.

Now, I have to be honest with you.  The thought of cutting out all those pieces to an exact size makes me break out in a sweat.  The idea of all that sewing in a straight line shortens my breath, and my biggest fear of all, is combining colours and patterns.  That notion just about brings on a panic attack.  And we won't even discuss the actual quilting involved after the quilt top is done.

So instead, this is my inspiration, I want to make a yoyo quilt.  I love to make yoyos, and I can get the benefit of texture without actual quilting.  I have a bolt of a gorgeous aqua fabric that I bought with another idea in mind that has since been cast aside.  So I'm thinking of working in a simple palette of aqua and red.



My mum's a quilter, so I think it was inevitable that I started quilting eventually.  I remember making patchwork hexagons with her at a young age.  This is the quilt she made for my little one (yes, I chose the colours) and one she made for the Leukaemia Foundation.

So how about you?  Do you quilt?  Any advice for a novice?

4 comments:

Sandrine said...

Oh Great for "me" projects!! Quilts are my love/hate beast I have two on the back of the chair as I type away...NOT finished:) But no one really taught me, you have the biggest advantage Mel!I have a small ideas of the colours you are picking :)??Have fun xx

Naturally Carol said...

I think you'll do a great job. Just remember that this is no competition and however it turns out, it will be loved and useful in your household!

Hot Fudge said...

With your artistic talent and a mother who is a fabulous quilter thrown into the mix, how can you not succeed? Be warned though - it's habit forming and you will be hooked for life. Can't wait to see your work in progress!

SomedaysSarah said...

Good luck! I've been bitten by the quilting bug too, and have my supplies all ready but since I don't have a super-talented quilter mum to guide me I've been trying to ignore it...

Good luck! I look forward to lots of progress pics.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails