Saturday, August 09, 2008

Kimono Fabric and Geisha

I really enjoyed my date with my sewing machine yesterday. I didn't get very far with the top I'd planned on making. Actually, I didn't get anywhere with the top as I had trouble downloading the pattern. I had actually planned on lengthening the top to make it into a cross-over dress. Being as stubborn as I am sometimes, I was still determined to make one. I have one that I like the cut of, so made a pattern from it. It's still a work in progress, but I'd like to have it finished on Monday, so I can wear it to the airport to pick up hubby on Tuesday.

This is the fabric I'm using for the dress. It's really cute as the line of geisha is only at the bottom of the fabric (and I will use for the bottom of the skirt) and the rest is black with a few flowers dotted here and there. I'm really hoping it works out!



I had another moment of realising how much I'm going to miss this country. I took a break from the machine and dropped into my local shopping centre. I sat at Starbucks for a while to do some writing, browsed through the Japanese craft books in the books shop, picked up some super cute Japanese fabric from the craft shop and bought some yummy sushi from the supermarket for dinner. Ahh... I've only got another seven months of this life!

By the time I got home, we were in the middle of a huge electrical storm, so the computer and sewing machine were pulled out of the sockets. To amuse myself I played with making some kimono fabric pendants. I'm really pleased with how they worked out (the square ones weren't actually finished when I took this photo, so look a bit funny). They have a lovely silver coloured metal finish on the back.


All in all, a great day. Please summer holidays, don't ever end!

14 comments:

Liesl said...

Isn't that Geisha fabric just gorgeous? The colours in the print are amazing. I hope you are going to post a picture of the finished dress!

And the kimono pendants are beautiful.

Hope you have been able to plug all your appliances back in now!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your pendants are gorgeous! Love the dress fabric - hope the weather lets you get back to sewing this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Melanie, looks like you had a wonderful day today even without the sewing machine..love the pendants
sharon

Jenny said...

That fabric is gorgeous and I am sure it will turn out lovely-just like those pendants.Sounds like you had such a lovely day. Bet you can't wait for Tuesday! Happy reunion with your husband! Ahhh Summer holidays how wonderful art thou!!!

Hila said...

Beautiful work Melanie!

Lauren said...

I love those pendants!

Our Hands For Hope said...

What a great piece of fabric! I love the blod color! And the faces are so sweet!
Terisa

Lilli boo said...

Look forward to seeing the finished outfit..the fabric is gorgeous no other way to describe it event tho everyone else who has commented has said the same thing! Love the buttons too!

teresa fsw said...

The fabric is beautiful! Can't wait to see your finished product! Also the pendants are gorgeous! ^_^

Red Hen (dette) said...

very cute! I particularly like the large circular one on the right. I like the composition you selected with this one.

Sasparilla Sue said...

Those pendants are gorgeous!!! Not bad for something you just decided to "play" around with! And that fabric is going to make a really cute dress! I can see it already.

zakkalife said...

the pendants are just beautiful along with the fabric, what a clever idea

Karin said...

Wow! That fabric is just incredible. How beautiful!! Those pendants are gorgeous. My husband just walked by and said, Gosh, that's beautiful. LOL!! The strong silent type speaks out!

UK lass in US said...

Those pendants are beautiful.

I'm hoping that we get to visit Japan one day. We have friends there, but we're usually saving up for trips to England, not travel. That and I'd have to find something to distract my husband with, while I go check out these great fabric shops that I keep hearing about...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails