Sunday, April 20, 2008

This is... my latest discovery!

... or rather, discoveries...

I loved this week's This is… ... theme by Knit Owl. Not because I had any great recent discovery to reveal, but rather because I was so excited to see what everyone else's were!

For days, I've been trying to work out what my contribution would be. I thought it could be personal revelations such as "there IS life without chocolate" (don't worry that one surprised me as well), and "I really can't do everything".

I then thought it could be the new sushi rice dish I had yesterday, but then I would actually have to pretend like I could cook or something like that.

Or... it could be my fab new "Smocking Navi", a smocking guide, but I haven't actually used it yet, the same would go for my new iron-on bag pattern I bought.

So, instead, I'm going to pretend that I'm a domestic goddess (which I really am not). My latest discoveries belong in the laundry.

Wash balls! In my bid to reduce my negative impact on the environment, I've almost completely stopped using softener in the wash, and pop these in instead. I find the Japanese water to be very hard and so without something, clothes come out very stiff and crinkly. These funky little things go in with the clothes and help add air which then helps soften clothes. Or something like that. But they work! And, they save me money!

These little do-dads are "kutsushita clip"s, or more simply, sock clips. I have to confess, I forget to use them most of the time, but basically, they keep your pair of socks together in the wash, which saves sorting time later. Especially when you wear as many plain black socks as I do.

I'm off now to see what everyone else has discovered lately!

15 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Wow, so the wash balls actually work. I haven't tried them but I might just give them a go.

Anonymous said...

wash balls? I NEED SOME! like, now.
[my front loader washing machine produces towels like surfboards...]
any ideas where i might lay my hands on some of these?

kirsten @ assemblage.typepad.com

Jenny said...

I have never even heard of wash balls or sock holder together thingies-but they look very useful!!!Wonder where we get them over here??

flossy-p said...

COOL!!!! So ingenious, I'm sure they'd make washing more fun... right?

Michelle said...

I like the sock thingies - I seriously have a whole drawer full of odd socks!!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Those are great discoveries. I love the little sock things.

Kirsty said...

I'm hoping that the sock clips will stop my washing machine eating single socks! Thanks for the domestic tip.

Bec said...

What a great idea. I'm going to have to try and find some now. I can never use fabric softener anyway as my husband finds them too stinky (my poor delicate flower of a husband has a very sensitive and sneezy nose :P). Thanks for the tip!

Lilli boo said...

How inspiring..I was only in Fujimart today (for Melb readers they are off Chapel Street Prahran) so will check for the wash balls especiallynext time. Cause I absolutely relate with Kirsten with the towels like surfboards. Thanks for a great "This is.."

JuliaB said...

Oh these things look fascinating ... I just posted about washing myself, what an exciting lot we are! My post was about soapnuts. I wonder if you could use these with soapnuts ..?

Rachael Hutchings said...

I LOVE those wash balls, but have never seen the sock clips! I'll have to keep an eye out for some.

Dees said...

Wow those are amazing what a great find!xoxo

Anastasia said...

how totally cool!!!
why dont we have those here?
i stopped using softner years ago after reading that the build up can ruin the washing machine..?! not sure if its true but I dont mind hard stiff, towels...extra exfoiliation! ha!

Sherrin said...

I think I need some of those sock thingies... our lost sock home is full to overflowing!

Christie said...

OMG, I have just found your blog & LOVE it & NEED some wash balls + sock clips! You should sell them in your etsy store!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails