Monday, June 13, 2011

Little Pieces of Japan - Things I Brought Back with Me

Sorry for my recent absence from the blog of late.  I've had so many things that I wanted to blog about, show you from Japan that I found it all overwhelming and just didn't know where to start.

So here I begin, with a little series, a little show and tell of my treasures from Japan.

The Design Festa was huge and filled to the brim with so many talented artists and crafters, I believe there were 3000 artists exhibiting/performing.  With only a few days in Tokyo, I was determined to see as much of it as I could in one day (it's a two day event).  This meant that often I would cruise past many booths, stopping for a little while if something caught my eye.

There were a special few that I found it very hard to drag myself away from.  Happa Do's stall was one of them.  She makes the most magical little creatures, many of whom adorn fairytale-like mobiles.  I could just imagine her paper balloons carrying birds over fields of golden corn.

I really wanted to bring a mobile home, but knew that the quarantine officials wouldn't like the cute twigs, that the sweet wire constructions would get squashed in my luggage...

But one of her little birdies did fly home with me, and helped me carry some artwork of her other family members...


I did only bring the one bird, but she's different colours on each side....


Her catalogue that I also bought reminds me to dream of those paper balloons and fields....


She makes so many other creatures as well...


You can see more of her delightful work in the gallery on her website

Now lovely reader, I would love to ask a favour of you, a way to help me to decide what to write next... is there anything you'd like to know/see from my trip to Japan?

8 comments:

Tracey said...

Those little creatures are delightful ... I would have been sorely tempted to whisk some away home too.

As for what I'd like to know of your trip, honestly I'd be happy to find out anything and everything ... but, how about some of the wonderful cafes / food places / bars you may have visited or encountered? :)

Melissa G said...

Oh! That catalogue is completely killer cute. Love it!

spindelmaker said...

I´d love to see more from Design Festa! I´ve heard about it before, and it´s a dream to be able to go there someday.
But really, I am sure anything you write about your trip is interesting, there´s just so much I´d love to see/know about Japan.

Mandy Crandell said...

These are adorable! I'd love to see photos from your trip.

http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

Di said...

These are lovely! I never understand how in Japan they can have such amazing craft stuff, equipment, fabrics etc and here in the UK we get very little - even trying to get wool felt is almost impossible!

I am happy to hear about whatever you post on Japan - I only visited for 2 weeks a couple of years ago but it had a huge impact on my life - a long held ambition fulfilled and I like to be reminded of it all the time ;-)

ChingyPingy said...

I'd love to see any nice paper/fabric that you came across. That birdie is simply adorable!

ejorpin said...

I adore these little critters - thank you so much for sharing them with us!

Helenka said...

I always look forward to seeing and reading about what beautiful treasures you have come across or created! I would love to know what markets you recommend going to (and where they are) as my mum is going over to Japan in August and I want to give her a very very long shopping list!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails