Saturday, December 23, 2006

Have a Merry Chirimen Christmas


Wow! What a year! It was a big one with even bigger changes to our lives for both of the Kimono Reincarnate team.

In March I got married and then a week later packed up my life and my new husband and moved to Japan. We both started new jobs, caught up with old friends, made some new friends and basically started a whole new life. My husband has taken to this country like a duck to water and I swear he was Japanese in a former life.

Around the time of my wedding, the other Mel was pregnant, though she didn't know it yet. Much of the year saw her belly grow gradually, until out came her gorgeous little boy, Ryder.




After a life time of sweltering hot Christmases, it feels strange that Christmas is only a few days away and it is so cold! My husband and I will be having a white Christmas as we are heading up to Nagano later tonight for a 3 day snowboarding trip with cousins and friends.

I thought I should add something a little Christmassy to the blog. The little Santa is made from Chirimen, Japanese crepe, and was a gift from a friend who went to Kyoto recently.

The pine cone is one of my own creations. All the fabric in it is also Chirimen, but can easily be done with any fabric. I've seen some amazing ones done with kimono fabric, and that will be my project for next Christmas, I just need to get started a little earlier.

To make the pine cone, circles are cut out of the fabric. The edge of that circle is then baste stitched, a small piece of stuffing put in the middle and then the cotton is pulled tight to create a ball. The ball is placed edge into the cone. If it is tight, it can simply be stuffed in, but if it's a little loose, a tiny bit of glue is useful.

I recently picked up some lotus pods to make a simular decoration out of.

This will most likely be our last post for the year, so we'd love to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with love and laughter and of course, some sumptious fabrics!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails