Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Back to School and Inspired

I started back at my silversmithing class today and am all hyped for the semester.  As I was driving home I was thinking just how cool it was that I get to learn amazing new skills, hang out with fun, creative people and have new jewellery to wear at the end of it.

The first couple of weeks we're learning lost-wax casting.  In this process we're sculpting rings out of wax.  The wax master will then be used to create a mould (and the wax will be melted away and "lost" in the process), then silver poured into the mould to create the ring.  I'm having a blast working with the wax, it's so much easier than working with hard silver and solder I can tell you.

I'm looking forward to the new techniques I'll be learning and the new possibilities they bring.


I've been slowly adding images to my Jewellery board on Pinterest and the more I scroll through it, the more I realise how much I really love more sculptural pieces, especially in rings.  As evidence, last year in class I made this ring (which, excuse me while I toot my own horn for a moment, I won a student award for) and this one

There are more creative things I'd love to study in the future.  I'd really love to take dressmaking lessons and more formal studies in illustrator and photoshop.  The Man is hoping to take some leather craft workshops this year too.

How about you?  Is there anything new you're learning or would love to learn this year?

3 comments:

Mandy Crandell said...

How awesome! We never learned that technique when I was in school. Can't wait to see what you create!

http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

Sandrine said...

Yes AWESOME mel, learning something new is such a powerful and great feeling. I too would love to learn more about photography,graphic design, cooking, sewing... (I just need a big learning budget now!)I really love the jewellery you created are fantastic (the second wins my heart!) Have fun! xx

susie said...

There is always more to learn!!! I'm going back for more patternmaking classes...can't wait!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails