Sunday, January 09, 2011

Slow

Things have been a bit quiet on my blog of late as I've been trying to take things a little slow.

I want to work hard to make a good living for my family but am realising that I can't do that if I don't take care of myself. To do that, I need to slow down. There are things I want to blog, I want to share, but lately have been going to bed instead, getting that sleep that my body is craving, needing right now.

I want my little one to grow up knowing how important it is to have time for herself, time for her family and the best want to teach her that is to model it myself. I want to be there, to be in the moment during the precious time I'm with her.

I've just been reading an article about the benefits of "slow parenting". It didn't really tell me anything terribly new, but rather reinforced my beliefs and helped take away some of the guilt I feel for not putting her in a lot of classes that might help her development. The Man and I are still leaning towards the idea of home schooling for the little one.

We're still dreaming of a slower, more self sufficient life. The Man is beginning to grow herbs and planning a vegetable garden. We continue to plan our tree-change home complete with chickens in the back yard.

6 comments:

Red Hen (dette) said...

I agree with you although when my kids were likttle I'd not hear of slow parenting but in my heart I felt it was wrong to push them here and there plus as a single parent working full time it was a logistic nightmare and their father usually ahd them every second weekend. Then about 10 years ago I read about what they were calling the 'hurried child' children who had every waking moment timeabled. I started to notice many kids around me who were stressed or totally at a loss if they were not being 'entertained' or 'educated'. I'm glad I went with the sensible option, my kids did drama once a week because they loved it. They did music lessons for a bit but I didn't make them continue because they weren't really into it. I encouraged and provided opportunities where I could but found a nice balance. As a result I think I have raised two well adjusted children who are now in charge of finding their own strengths and pursuing them independently. Good luck in finding that for yourself.

Michelle said...

I'm not a parent, but I get where you are coming from. I've realised these last few weeks it's important to take care of my mental, physical and creative health. Blogging sometime stresses me out a little, as I don't want to reveal too much of myself but also want to share!. As such I've decided to take a bloggy break. I think it will be a great opportunity to do stuff without thinking "OMG wait till my blog friends read about this!"

Hope the gardening goes well! I've been watching Gourmet Farmer on DVD the last couple of days, and he has inspired me to plan some more vegie beds :-)

Cathie said...

take it easy lovely girl, enjoy what you have.
I know you and your family have been through alot this last year & the last thing you need is for a meltdown.
look after yourself & hug your 2 special beings.

much love to you ♥

Hot Fudge said...

Before I was married I spent a week or so with a family in Los Angeles. There were 4 teenage children whose lives were organised with activities every waking moment - I felt so sorry for them as they hid from their mother.

On the other hand, we have a young family who recently built their home next to us. The two little girls welcomed their baby brother just before Christmas. The first thing the father built in the backyard was the Hilton Henhouse, closely followed by the veggie patch. A pumpkin vine is now winding its way over the chook house (don't you love the clucking they make?) and it's such a delight to hear the little children playing so freely in the backyard.

I know which family I'd rather belong to. Go slowly and enjoy the ride.

justheavenlygirl said...

I completely understand where you are coming from Melanie. My dream was to get away from the reliance on society, and grow herbs, veggies, fruit, have chickens....The dream is a little far away at the moment, the hubby and I own a sheetmetal business, so it wont be at least until our chickens are grown up. I like the idea of "slow" parenting....Our children only ever really get 4 years of childhood before they are expected to grow up and go to school, so I think, taking it slow is good. There shouldn't be so much pressure on children and parents, but it does exist, within our media, minds and societies eyes.
I think you do a great job Melanie, blogging less and sleeping more, I think you can be forgiven:D

Irmhild said...

Have you read "you are your child's first teacher"? You might like it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails